Skip to main content

Storybook Plan

For my storybook, I'm planning on telling three origin stories of Kali, which I listed in more detail in a previous post. One is where Kali emerges from Durga, one includes Pavarti becoming Kali, and the last involved the gods combining forces to create her.

The two main sources I'm using as references are Wikipedia and Ancient History Encyclopedia, although I'm sure I will be pulling in more sources once I begin writing.

In terms of storytelling style, I think I'm wanting to write these from a first-person perspective. When I took Intro to Hinduism I felt overwhelmed by all of the new information and names and gods that I wasn't familiar with due to my Christian background. I think that telling the story from a distant third-person perspective would overwhelm someone reading my storybook who isn't coming in with assumed knowledge of Hinduism. I think by making the reader Kali herself, it will allow for a clearer and more immersive experience.

I also want to incorporate Twine at the beginning of the storybook. Although the stories themselves will be separate, I want to have the reader take a quiz of sorts that will lead them to the origin story they will read. This is also a way to introduce the reader to elements of the story before they even begin reading, and then they can realize how that ties in once they read it.

Ultimately I think I want to focus on the theme of Kali's duality. How she is both creation and destruction, time and death, carer and warrior. Since she is born into battle in all of these stories I think that juxtaposition will be easy to highlight, but I also think a first-person perspective will help as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

( The eyes of Kali ) Welcome to my comment wall! Click here to learn about how the goddess of time, nature, and death was created.

Introduction to an Illustrator

Hello! I am a junior Advertising major with a minor in Religious Studies. Still feels weird to type "junior"–it's hard to believe I'm halfway done! I began OU as an International Studies major with a focus on China, but I lacked some crucial things for my career path: I hate politics and I'm very bad at Mandarin. Although China still holds a special place in my heart , I decided to pivot into graphic design. I took a crash course in Adobe Creative Suite at the beginning of last year and loved every second of it. Soon, some friends started asking me to do commission work for them. One thing led to another, and I learned I liked illustrating more than graphic design and strategy. Even though I'm still studying Advertising in the hope of getting a decent job when I graduate, I currently work as a freelance illustrator and want to continue doing so into the foreseeable future. (Left: personal illustration of hammerhead sharks.  Right: personal illustrat

Week 3 Story: The Unspeakable Name

Thousands and thousands of years ago, a princess was born. And as she grew, her mother told her lots of stories. Stories about riches and kings and wars. One night, she told the princess a new story: a legend that there exists a secret, unspeakable name that has the power to create life. The princess was curious and asked her mother if she could find it and create friends for herself. Her mother chuckled and reminded her it was only a legend. When her mother died years later, the princess became queen. Although she enjoyed the crown, she found many parts of her job tedious and unimportant. One day, during a particularly boring meeting, the queen was on the verge of falling asleep when one of her advisors mentioned a piece of paper with a single word. It had been found in a tomb miles away and the discoverers tried with all their might to speak the word with no luck. The princess demanded that it be brought to her. The queen remembered the childhood story of the unspeakable name and