Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Chinese Fairy Tales, part A

My favorite story from this unit was The Cave of Beasts by R. Wilhelm, mostly because of how many turns it takes.

A father finds seven duck eggs and doesn't want to give any to his seven daughters. However, throughout the night, each ask for one and eat it after promising not to tell the others. The father was mad and decided to trick his children into going into the mountains to be eaten by wolves. The five oldest daughters said no but the two youngest said yes.

The dad abandoned them and they soon found a cave full of precious stones owned by a fox and wolf. When the foc and wolf returned, they didn't find the daughters. The daughters trapped them in kettles in the cave and burned them alive.

Eventually, the father returned for the daughters and was happy to find them alongside all of the jewels.

(Cave paintings in China. Source.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

( The eyes of Kali ) Welcome to my comment wall! Click here to learn about how the goddess of time, nature, and death was created.

Introduction to an Illustrator

Hello! I am a junior Advertising major with a minor in Religious Studies. Still feels weird to type "junior"–it's hard to believe I'm halfway done! I began OU as an International Studies major with a focus on China, but I lacked some crucial things for my career path: I hate politics and I'm very bad at Mandarin. Although China still holds a special place in my heart , I decided to pivot into graphic design. I took a crash course in Adobe Creative Suite at the beginning of last year and loved every second of it. Soon, some friends started asking me to do commission work for them. One thing led to another, and I learned I liked illustrating more than graphic design and strategy. Even though I'm still studying Advertising in the hope of getting a decent job when I graduate, I currently work as a freelance illustrator and want to continue doing so into the foreseeable future. (Left: personal illustration of hammerhead sharks.  Right: personal illustrat

Week 2 Story: The Faces of the Moon

Thousands of years ago, a man who was all-powerful looked up into the night sky. The moon was there as always, but tonight he was frowning. The all-powerful man called to him, "Oh moon, whatever is wrong? You sleep all day and watch over the sky at night. Your life seems wonderful." The moon answered, "My view is beautiful but I am lonely. The stars are so far away and all night I watch as men happily live their lives. I wish I was a man like you." The all-powerful man replied, "Then you shall be one." And the moon became a man. As a man, he worked as a shepherd in the fields. Although he was less lonely, he was tired of standing all day in the heat. There was no cover of trees to give him comfort. However, he noticed rabbits darting around him as he worked, playing and taking shelter in the long grass. The next time he saw the all-powerful man, he said, "I no longer want to be a man. I wish to be a rabbit: free from responsibility and able to find sh